Old 05-07-2018, 01:27 PM
zozee

You definitely need to know your recipients. After spending a lot of time making some wintry-themed pillows for my daughter a couple years ago, I was shocked (and a little hurt) that she only kept them through one season and then donated them to a thrift store. I guess I expected she'd store them for the next season (as I would). I've come to appreciate that she doesn't feel the need for "stuff" in order to feel loved and thought about. She has seen what accumulation of crap looks like in my house after 30 years. She is trying to avoid it by regularly getting rid of stuff.

Knowing this, but not wanting to deprive her of something handmade from me if she wanted, I came right out and asked her if she'd like me to make a wedding quilt. (This was right after she was engaged in Nov. Her wedding is next month.) She thought about it and told me that she probably would not appreciate it to the degree of the work and money I'd put into it. Besides, she likes to change bedding every few years, and doesn't want to feel obligated to keep stuff just because someone (even her own dear, precious, thoughtful, amazing, wonderful) mother gave it to her.

Her perspective has truly helped me think about the relative value of "stuff."