View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 AM
jbsstrawberry

Originally Posted by pieces
I've never made a crayon quilt before. Because on Alex Andersons, Simply quilts, she said the crayon quilts can not be washed. That the crayons would wash out. I mostly make childrens quilts and childrens crib/lap quilts will need to be washed alot. Has anyone experienced the crayons washing out?

If you use a GOOD quality crayon ( I only use Crayola; but don't use the specialty ones such as the metalics or gels) the color stays wonderfully. Sometimes it takes a second and even third coloring after you iron out the wax, but the color does stay when washed. The pony quilt I made for my granddaughter has been washed several times and hasn't lost any color at all. On some of the lighter colors, like the wings, unicorn horns and some flowers, I used a clear sparkle fabric paint over the crayon for effect. I'm sure that is helping preserve those lighter crayon colors as well. You will lose some color the first time you wash them, but not enough to really notice. I hand washed my blocks in warm water before I assembled the quilt.