Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 PM
gacountrygurl

Default My First Quilt - Fabric, Patterns, and Tools!

Hello y'all! I am in the process of beginning my first quilt, but I need some suggestions! It has been a long time since I've even used my sewing machine, and I have never done a task this big before. I have a book with patterns and detailed instructions that are really easy to understand. But I am wanting advice on multiple things.
First off, I have some "scrap" fabric that I am going to use to get used to using my machine again, make sure its in perfect working order before I make these quilts. I have read that it is good to pre-wash fabric, especially with cotton. I think it would be a good idea, but I don't want anything to get messed up in the washer/dryer before I even get to use the fabric.
When it comes to making your quilt, what is your process? I would assume getting all of your pieces cut first, "mach" assembly to make sure everything look like it will fit correctly and you have enough pieces, and then you start sewing?
Do I have to have a fancy sewing machine to do the sewing that keeps the batting in place (I forget the technical term for it, sorry!)? I have read mixed opinions on this. I have a basic Singer sewing machine that was a birthday gift from 10 years ago. She sew's well but doesn't do anything super fancy.
I am making these as gifts, and was thinking about doing them either twin or queen size, any opinion on doing a larger size when your just starting? They are going to be Christmas Gifts, so there isn't a huge rush.
I will upload pictures of the fabrics I have selected, as well as 2 of the patterns I am looking at doing from the book I have.