View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM
peaceandjoy

First, thank you to Psdumas for finding the ecorug mats.

After a disastrous project that got glitter paint on my better board (big board that folds), I washed the cover that came with it. It shrank several inches - to the point that it didn't begin to fit anymore, so I set about to make a new (prettier!) one.

Although I know some people swear by a very firm ironing surface, I prefer a padded surface. The original "pad", if you will, was just a thin layer of batting, which was about 1/2" too narrow all around. As long as I was making a new cover, I decided to replace the pad as well. Then I read through this thread.

My new cover is shown. It's basically a rectangle with toggles on either end to cinch up the cording, which I sewed into a channel made with the fabric folded over 2x to allow for the tension of drawing the cord up. Under the cover is a ecorug Nature's Cushion pad.

A note about ordering of the pad: The surface I am covering is 60" x 22" and I wanted to be able to fold the pad over the edge as the edge is quite sharp. Using the order form, I entered 8' 0" x 2' 1". As was pointed out above, you can order a larger piece for very little more. I thought I'd order a length that would allow me to cut it off and use the cut off as a portable mat or two.

The pad I received, and the note on the packing slip by the measurement of the rug, is 2" smaller in each direction. My guess is that this is due to the fact that a pad under a rug would not go all the way to the edge. It worked fine for me - I've still got enough that it goes over the sides and was still more than long enough to cut to get my travel pads. Just wanted to warn anyone who expects to get the exact measurement so that they would not end up with a piece to narrow.

It cut easily using my junk drawer Fiskars (no good scissors cutting that!!). It does have an odor, but not unbearable.
Attached Thumbnails ironing-board.jpg