View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 06:47 AM
mjpEncinitas

Well I’m not in this boom but I’ll add my two cents. If you are sending a second and maybe third fabric it’s nice to have one piece that’s 13 x 13. This is true especially if you want boomers to only use the fabrics you send ( unusual but makes the blocks very coordinated) . This always helps me as I like to do applique.

I cant think of any fabric that you can’t send as long as it’s 100% cotton. I used Day of the Dead dancing skeleton fabric for my first quilt. The results were fantastic. Be specific in what youre looking for to match your fabrics but it’s nice to have lots of options. Examples match the yellows reds or oranges in the fabric. Tone on tone or solids. Only prints that read as solids. White and black. Of course you can say anything goes.

The boomers are very helpful to beginners. They helped me increase my skills a lot. Answered a lot of questions. There are some master quilters in this group. They were very receptive to the odd blocks I made, as I’m not very traditional. I find getting to design 19 blocks really expanded my creativity.

When making the blocks these are the three most important things:
1. The square is 12 1/2”. Put your finished block on top of the 12 1/2 square ruler is what Janice suggests. It is worth it to buy this ruler if you are doing the boom. Go to Joann’s with a 50% off coupon.

2. The seams are 1/4 “. Seams that are too small won’t hold up in the quilt.

3. You use a regular stitch NOT a basting stitch.

I will be living vicariously through the group. I’ll be finishing up my boom UFOs while you boomers are working your magic.