View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 AM
Tothill

Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
This type of discussion most usually ends up with people upset at each other. We unwittingly either get into defensive or sympathy mode. Let's sew something or organize patterns instead! What is reasonable for me depends on many factors. And if the price is somewhat high for one extra-special, hard to find fabric, that I have been seeking for many months, I will buy it, and it doesn't mean that I purchase other fabrics at that price.
I have also been known to buy way more fabric than I needed at rock bottom prices. If the fabric is piled high to the ceiling in my sewing room because of clearance prices, and the house floods or catches fire, or I get gravely ill, I won't feel the least bit happy about how much money I "saved" on that fabric.
Mandy, I can understand your perspective, but I view this sort of thread more along the lines of what does fabric cost where you are? OP asked about prices and cutting in Canada and metric as well.

We all have different budgets and differing fabric needs for different projects. If I was making charity quilts, very large quilts, I would have to be more mindful of costs. For small projects such as wall hangings or placemats I may splurge on a feature fabric, as the yardage is less.

Personally I ‘treat’ myself to fabric when travelling, in a way that I do not when I am at home.

I also find it interesting what the LQS prices are in different areas.

I am interested too that in some areas people find quilting fabric in thrift shops, I have only once found it in a thrift shop, but it was 150km from where I live, so not close enough to haunt regularly.