View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 AM
DJ

Default Hanging Loops (requested tutorial)

Hanging Loops Tutorial

Note: If anyone has a link to a better tutorial, please post it. I looked but didn't find anything.

Here goes ...

Add loops just before you sew the binding on (after your quilt is squared up).
Decide what width (W) you want the loops and if you want to use one fabric or two.

Make Loop Strip:

For one-fabric loops (picture 1 below), cut a long (WOF so you'll have plenty or you could do it in smaller pieces to use up scraps) strip of fabric W+1/2”. With right sides together, sew into a tube (1/4” seam). Turn the tube right side out. Press with the seam on one side (not down the middle). For the one pictured below, I then did a decorative stitch all the way down the strip.

For two-color loops (picture 2 below), cut a strip of each fabric (WOF so you'll have plenty or you could do it in smaller pieces to use up scraps) W+1/2”. With right sides together, sew 1/4” seam along each edge, making a tube. Turn the tube right side out. Press.

Decide how many loops want across the top of your wall hanging.

You need to have your loops the same height, of course, so you would cut strips of the same lengths from your loop strip. If you cut them longer than you anticipate you really want them, you will have some leeway for adjustment. Place the loops on the backing with the raw edges along the raw edge of the top of your wall hanging. You will want them evenly spaced creating the same angle and height. You place one side of the loop against your fabric at one point, then turn it to place the other side of the loop against the fabric a short distance away. If you have longer strips than you need, you can cut them off when you have them all laid out the way you want them, or you can wait till you have sewed the binding on.

Sew the binding on your quilt. You can do this with your preferred technique. I machine sew binding to the front and hand stitch to the back. Before flipping the binding over to hand or machine stitch it down, you can trim the tails of your loops if you need to.

Once the binding is on, flip the loops up and secure them to the top of the binding with a few whip or ladder stitches.

DH cuts and stains or paints the doweling for me. We added some wooden doll heads purchased at Michaels. He had to drill a hole in them the correct size for the doweling. I just used a ribbon that is wrapped over the dowel ends before pushing on the round knobs.

Hang your lovely wall hanging where you will enjoy it often!

Please let me know if you have questions or need some pictures. I won’t be able to make up a sample and take pictures for a while as we will be having family visiting.
Attached Thumbnails img_5354-2.jpg   img_3553.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-26-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps