View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 02:49 PM
dunster
Power Poster

I was a very new quilter when I volunteered to help make a quilt to be donated to the Make A Wish Foundation for them to auction. I fully expected that the effort would be spearheaded by more experienced quilters, and I volunteered only because I thought it would be a good learning experience, and it sure was. The more experienced quilters picked out the pattern and selected the fabric. After that it seemed that I was on my own to enlarge the pattern to queen size, cut the fabric, make up packets with instructions and enough fabric for several blocks, distribute the packets to the few ladies who volunteered to make them, and put the blocks together. How did they expect a new quilter to do all that? Why did I take it on? My biggest surprise was when blocks started coming back, and they were all different sizes. Some were so poorly sewn that the seams were coming apart, and seams were pressed every which way. These came from one of the most experienced quilters in the group, but she was getting older and less steady and probably couldn't see very well. (She asked me if her blocks were okay, and I assured her that they were.) I took many blocks apart and sewed them back together, made more blocks (thank goodness we had extra fabric) and finally had a queen-size top. Someone else volunteered to do the quilting. From what we heard, Make A Wish was delighted, and I don't think that guild made another group quilt.

I know some quilters that I would gladly share a project with, but I really don't want to participate in a group quilt again.