Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 AM
rryder

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thanks, Rob! I'll try that blue pen. It's nice to know there is something that goes away and stays gone when you no longer want it. Soap sounds good on the darks. At least you know that will wash out!

I have only tried rulers a bit. I bought some with my machine, but I think I might need to take a class on how to use them. What's the trick to holding them steady and also maneuvering your quilt at the same time?
Get some sandpaper dots, Handgrip or shelf liner to put on the bottom of the ruler. I prefer the handgrip as it's clear and has a sandpaper texture that really holds onto the fabric. You only need a small bit in a couple of places on the ruler. Then, when holding the ruler remember to keep your hand partly on the ruler and partly on the quilt. I also often use both hands on the ruler (one on each end.)

Here are some photos: 1st two show the way I hold the ruler if I'm using one hand at each end with the ruler in front of or behind the ruler foot. The last photo is how I hold the ruler if I'm only holding it with one hand. On that last one, if I was moving the fabric toward me, my hand would be further up the ruler and my thumb would not be hanging off the ruler, but you can see where I have a least a finger off the ruler on the fabric. Also do not push Down on the ruler in an effort to get it to grip the quilt, that makes it harder to work with-- Use Handgrip or sandpaper dots, or shelf liner on the back of the ruler to help it cling to the quilt. On the last picture, you can see the square of handgrip that I've got on the bottom of the ruler (the area that looks frosted just below my index finger).

Hope that helps.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_2059.jpg   img_2058.jpg   img_2052.jpg