View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 07:24 AM
nana2

The taggie quilts are a lot of fun for kids, I wish I had learned about them several years ago. Our granddaughter has autism and the texture of her clothes has been a VERY LARGE PROBLEM. In order to help her learn to deal with this, one of the teachers had gathered together such things as cotton balls (soft) sand paper (rough), etc. This eventually helped her to guide us in her clothing selections. (We bought a lot of clothes that were worn only once before we understood her "extra sensitive" nature. As she learned to describe to us her perception of "the feel" of her clothing, we were better able to make selections which were comfortable to her. When she was no older than two years of age, she could strip off clothes faster than we could get her dressed. At the age of fourteen, the first thing she does when she gets home from school is get out of her clothes and into a tee shirt gown. If someone comes over or if she wants to go outside, she quickly re-dresses --- no problem for her. I have made a taggie for my friends granddaughter. We used such things as the tops of socks, blue jean patches, parts of her husband's ties, ribbons, fabrics of various textures, tags from clothing, etc. I was very careful to be sure they were sewn very securely to the base fabric of fleece.