Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 PM
JustAbitCrazy

One way to do it (what I do) is to mark your design with a thin permanent sharpie on Miracle Film. It's a heat-away stabilizer made by Marathon. You have to allow the sharpie to dry overnight (or cheat and dry it well with a hairdryer on low heat---it is a heat-away stabilizer, remember) so the machine needle doesn't transfer the permanent black ink through to the quilt top. I have tried Golden Threads paper and Press N Seal, neither of which are as easy to remove as the Miracle Film. It's a clear/slightly frosted plastic with perforations all over, which make it tear off very easily. It's supposed to be removed by hovering a hot iron above it, making the plastic melt a bit into little plastic balls which are brushed off. But it tears off so easily I've never had to use heat. I love the stuff! Not affiliated, just a very happy customer. I usually afix Miracle Film in place with a teensy spray of temporary basting spray.
I also use pounce powder (white) with stencils, a chalk wheel (white) for freehand or ruler marking, a chalk pencil (Roxannes white and silver) for freehand or ruler marking. Sometimes when I want to use a stencil on white fabric, I use black light powder in a pounce pad. It's a white powder that glows fluorescent green under a black light, so it shows up on white fabric only when the black light is on. I mix in some ordinary white pounce powder with the black light powder to stretch it. Still works fine. Then there's also the black light chalk pencil. You can use chalk without washing the quilt afterwards. Usually it's mostly gone from handling when you're finished with the quilt, but if there's still some there, you can remove it with a vacuum, or by brushing over it with a dampened wash cloth.

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 05-29-2018 at 04:31 PM.