View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 09:20 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
If I were looking for a lightweight portable machine, I'd try very hard to find a Singer 301. I have several of them and just love this model. It is a slant stitch, straight stitch only machine but very dependable & simple to use & clean. Both of my mostly nonsewing daughters can use them without too much guidance from me. My $.02 worth of advice.
I was walking through an upstairs area of a thrift store and from across the room saw the profile of a 301 slant. It had been there a while and no takers. I immediately loaded it into my cart, but had to haul it downstairs by hand. Same store, same area, I found the second one in a regular cabinet.

I have sewn many baby gowns and a few donation quilt tops on it. For the baby gowns, there were small, narrow fabric ties that the 301 handled with ease. I found a canvas bag that looked like a briefcase shape, and it works perfectly for carrying the 301. The rolling sewing machine case I bought, ends up packed with my clothing and toiletries when I go to sewing retreats.
Chris, I would say that your $.02 worth of advice is golden.