Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 AM
Vandamme

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I am not sure but maybe pin them onto a cork board? I would also love to see a picture of the quilt that is on the wall. all I can see are the appliqued feet but my interest is peaked. LOL
Nice suggestion @Annaquilts! I have saved one patchwork square (is that the correct term?) of every fabric I've ever bought since I started buying fabrics a couple of months ago, and I want to make a "Memory Quilt" or some other type of ongoing art to remember all the fabrics. I think I might install a turquoise-painted corkboard on one of my room walls, and pin the squares to it one by one.

Here are some pictures of that quilt on the wall. It was made by South African women, my father bought for me as a gift for my first semester in college, 23 years ago. If my memory serves me right, it was made by women suffering from HIV/AIDS as a part of an NGO's project to provide them with income. It's one of my most tresured possessions and has followed me the last 23 years in every country I've lived in on three continents:

The quilt was made by a woman named M. Mapuranga (I think, or Mapurango)

And the captions (in the handwritten note photographed, which is folded and tucked into the quilt block marked ** where the woman is pounding) read:

Work by Women:

1. They are carrying sack of maize
2. They are claypots
3. She is doing the washing
4. They are baskets on their heads
5. She is drying the clothes
6. They are carrying fire-wood
7. She is pounding **
8. They going for a walk
9. They are approaching

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595723[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595726[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_6870.jpg   img_6871.jpg   quilt.jpg   img_6872.jpg   img_6873.jpg  

quilt-back.jpg