Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 AM
SuzzyQ

Default Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

I'm moving hopefully by the end of the year from a four bedroom house to a seniors apartment complex. It is an older building and very spacious. The open concept living room is very large with Great natural light and will be set up as sitting/TV area and possibly a work area for my sewing/quilting, office and music space. I want to be able to use my computer while sewing. I also have two part-time jobs requiring the computer. Am I crazy to have this area out in plain sight?

On one hand - I am usually very neat and organized and it will be just me. I also figure, since I will be able to access everywhere, I will be diligent about keeping everything neat and getting things put away properly. Right now it's easiest to let my DD take things upstairs and put them into my sewing room for me to put away WHEN I get there. Stairs are a problem so I'm not up every day or even every week so things get built up and I have to clean at least 2 hours - by which time I usually need to go downstairs to the bathroom, get a drink, answer the door. And I only go up when DD is home for fear of falling. I have been through three years of not being able to use my sewing room either at all or very rarely (and depending on my physical state or if someone is around).

But - This open area will be right "there", first thing visitors will see. I hope to be able to enjoy my quilting, etc more often and don't like the idea of being shut up in the second small bedroom. And I plan on using the second bedroom closet for storage for my sewing and quilting supplies. And I plan on a trip to IKEA for furniture for my craft/office area so it will be super organized and cohesive.

The only other alternative is to make the second bedroom mine and use the master bedroom for sewing/office. But the lighting is terrible and I wouldn't be able to have my grandkids visit (there are rooms for visiting family members but the grands are too young). And the large open area would be under-utilized.

So - please myself or keep everything ship shape?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-10-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps