View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 AM
rryder

Default What are we organizing today (2018j

Hey all, I just realized that we are still posting on the 2017 thread so I thought I’d start a new one here.

post your organizing goals for the day, week or month, along with any tips, tricks or encouragement you find helpful.

Here’s my tip: before you start organizing, look around your space and see if there is any trash laying around. Get rid of that first. It is amazing how helpful this has been for me. In my case I often find that there are things I intended to fix (for years), broken bits that I meant to creatively re-use but have been taking up space for so long I forgot what I was going to do with them or the last dregs of paint, glue etc. that I have saved so long it is now hardened and unuseable- these things are trash just as surely as are the no-longer working pens that seem to multiply. While detrashing, I also grab things that can be recycled, for example, paper trash that is untainted by food will be scooped up while I’m removing trash and placed in a recycle bin. The point is, first get rid of the stuff that belongs in either your trash can or recycle bin. It’s amazing how much work space I can reclaim with that simple exercise, and the sense of accomplishment at completeling that task seems to help me stay on track for doing the harder work of sorting what's left.

Today I’m going to tackle the walk in closet that is next to my home office.

Rob