View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 01:20 PM
QuiltingNinaSue

I was raised by foster grandparents who had raised my Mother. Although Mother and Dad had legally named me a first and middle name, grandma & grandpa did not like the name. When my 13 month older brother called me his little 'sister' and it came out as 'Sue', they called me by that name. It did not change until I entered college and started by teaching career. My husband called me Sue, but all my documents from college and places where I worked showed my regular birth certificate name. I finally adopted the southern style of the two names, legal first name and nickname as one word, NinaSue. But still signed legal papers with first and middle name from birth certificate and married name.

That was what the lawyer used in drawing up our wills. He said not to worry, school records would back that up since that had been my name for so many years. Never have had to get a passport, hope I never do.

Last school district I worked at changed my last name on the first check, but it was accepted at my bank. Next check, they changed my first and middle name. The third check cut my pay in half, losing my years of experience. Union straightened all out for my check before Christmas, so the family could enjoy it a little more. And I did work for the district over 20 years before retiring...with 37 years working as a librarian in various states at junior high level. Loved those children!