Old 06-16-2018, 03:37 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
We have a nest of sparrows near the back porch. I guess it's time for the babies to fly out. Our dog found one wet in a pan of water today, that my husband uses to catch rain for our chicken to drink. The chick was wet, except for it's head. I wanted to rescue it from our rat terrier (hunting drive kind of dog), so I picked it up and put it in a bowl to let it dry. I didn't realize it was old enough to fly, and thought it had fell out of the nest. Silly me, I put the bowl in the house to keep it away from the dog. Now the chick is dry, and it's flying around in the house and I can't catch it. I'm trying to throw a towel over it, which is what I used to do when I had pet finches. It worked for them! But this little beastie is going to places that are not flat enough for this trick to work, and it keeps escaping my towel.

QNS, good tip! Thanks for the info.
Not to mention all the poop everywhere! We spotted our wayward baby bird. The dog found it out under some bushes. Wonder why it won't fly? It flutters around and seems healthy and alert, but it won't be safe on the ground. It has to fly. Hope it can fly soon.