View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM
bkay

I just finished a quilt that had a lot of Moda in it. It raveled terribly. It had a good feel to it, though.

I've found that Waverly has a coarser feel to it. (I used it for a backing on my picnic qulilt.) I think it will hold up, though.

Kona is the one that bothers me right now. I've gotten three different grades/types of fabric from them recently. They are all black. One was so bad that I sent it to them to evaluate (it almost felt like a knit fabric). They said it was not Kona and to take it back. Recently, I bought some more black. It was fine. I was short, but my original store was out, so I went to a different store to get some more. (I would think that Kona should be the same everywhere.) They don't feel like the same fabric. One has a coarse feel like I expect of Kona. The other was smoother and softer.

I know that JoAnns and Hobby Lobby get a bad rap for Kona, but it has to be the Robert Kaufman company. Both of the retailers get their fabric from a distributor. In some cases, the same distributor. They aren't making or converting their own fabric. Either Kaufman has no quality control or they've lost control of the distributor.

bkay