Thread: Quilts
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
burnsk

Originally Posted by yorkie
Originally Posted by burnsk
Originally Posted by yorkie
These are two quilts I have recently finished. The first is for the local high school. The seniors are raising money to take some WWII veterans to Washington DC on the Honor Flight Program. I took the picture of the quilt before I had attached the binding.I made this quilt and donated to their cause.
Yorkie - is that the program started by the Wiseley's in Dexter?
I am not sure where the program originated. This is the second year our high school has participated. There are only 40 students in the whole high school and we are taking 6 seniors and 6 veterans. The students who participated last year were overwhelmed. It is a tremendous program. The best 2 day course in patriotism that has ever been invented.
We have a group here in Dexter, MI that do this and the Vet's are actually transported on war planes out of the Yankee Air Force Museum in Ypsilanti, MI. to Washington DC. Some of the vets they have taken actually flew similar planes in the war. It was very heart touching for them to be in that plane again. It is overwhelming and sometimes heartbreaking to watch. The memories and emotions that this event stirs for the vets. All I can say is, WOW. Thank you for making the quilt for their program. This is very near and dear to my heart. Do they do this every year?