View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 AM
SewingSew

I don't know about any rumors, but I do know that in 2006, SVP was formed by a merger with Husqvarna Viking and Pfaff. They merged with Kohlberg, who purchased Singer in 2004. Kohlberg & Company is a private equity firm who buys out large companies. Many consumers are oblivious to the fact that the sewing machine brand name that they think is synonymous with quality, is now owned by a holding company that knows nothing about sewing machines, but has purchased the brand, and outsourced the manufacture of the machines to places like China and Vietnam for the sake of cheap labor and to turn a hefty profit by selling the name brand to the unsuspecting consumer. That is one of the reasons that you have to wait so long to get your machine repaired when it needs parts--because unless it is in stock, the part has to be put on a ship from Asia. It takes time to be delivered to your country. There is no connection between the people making your machine, and the high quality engineering and standards of your Grandmother's vintage machine. Some of the last true Swedish Engineered Husqvarna Viking sewing machines were produced about 20 years ago. They were the designer series machines, like the Quilt Designer, and Designer I & II. I am happy to say that I have the Quilt Designer.