View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM
NCMtnHigh

I layered and pinned today. Interfaced the work with a piece of muslin, then batting, then another sheet of muslin for the backing. Because it's not square, I'll have to ease some of the stitching to pull it together.

My mother's friend, Lorraine, owns this piece. It's her mother who did the work (Marie 1910). Lorraine has absolutely no expectation as to what could be done with this piece. Since she and her daughter neither sew, nor quilt, anything to preserve this would be appreciated.

The redwork deserves to be finished. I may not be the best person to do this, but I will give it the care and time it needs.

I'm also a believer that these pieces are meant to be seen, used and enjoyed. I would never put this in a drawer, but rather display on the dining room table, or back of sofa, or as a throw across foot of the bed.

The squares were machine sewn, but seams are very thin with fraying all around the edges. Next decision is how to attach a border without losing the redwork design for these blocks.

Will post some pictures later today (since it's already after midnight).