Old 06-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Mickey2

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Mickey IIRC the Necchi cams are not metal but some have an inner hub that is metal. The later Supernovas and Julias have a plastic or nylon worm gear that is now prone to failure. Not the only delicate part these machines had.
Thanks for the info. I knew the cams were plastic and the cleated belts, but I read some where most Supernovas were all metal. I guess the 1950s were the decade everything turned nylon. I don't see why this was considered an advantage, especially in the best models made to be durable work horses.

Either way, I guess it's back to looking for a Necchi BU mabye with a wonder wheel for me, or another early cast iron zigzagger. I have a few in mind. For practical reasons we have to accept a few plastic gears for the double cams and stretchy stitch functions. It takes too long to track down the few remaining all metal models. I don't mind my Elna Supermatic at all, a few plastic gears, but it runs nicely after the rubber pulley was replaced with a metal one with o-rings. I'm still attaracted to the Supernova for some reason.

I think there is a few early all metal Japanese models with stretchy stitches. I have way too little experience with the good ones among them, a lot of them are reported to be all metal. I understand you are not the only one who have managed to track down a few gems. Half the job is to get to know the machine and its' advantages.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-22-2018 at 05:45 AM.