Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 PM
IrishMom

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I bought the Westalee ruler foot when it first came out- used it for several years and it worked just fine for me, but it was tiresome to adjust it's height whenever I needed to go over a thicker area in a quilt (like where multiple seams come together). When the Janome convertible FMQ and frame sets became available, I switched to them because there is a thumb screw on the convertible foot which allows you to fine tune the height of the floating foot without loosening the screw that mounts the foot to the machine--- the reason that this adjustability is important is that with a floating foot, you need to get the foot at exactly the right height above the quilt to get good stitch formation. The Westaleee foot and the other feet available (except for the Janome) all are adjusted by loosening the screw that attaches them to the machine and then sliding the foot slightly up or down, then re-tightening the screw. This means that you are essentially taking time to re-mount the foot every time you need to adjust it's height. With the Janome, the thumbs screw is completely independent of the screw that mounts the foot to your machine-- well worth the extra $ if you do a lot of ruler work and/or work on quilts that have areas where multiple seams come together resulting in thicker spots here and there.

Rob

Rob - - thanks for this explanation! I've been very happy with the quality of the Janome brand and I guess this is an instance that you get what you pay for......now I just need to decide when I can pay for it!