View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 02:43 AM
OhCanada

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
I'm getting ready to start my first cross stitch project but there's one thing I don't understand and it's so basic that books and blogs don't mention it. I understand that you put a strand through the needle and double it over. But when the instructions say "Use two strands," does that mean to put one strand through the needle and double it, thus the "two strands" go through the fabric? Or do you actually use two strands through the needle, ending up with four strands going through the fabric?

I assume it's the first example and I'm just over-thinking the second example, but it worries me.

Tate
Hi, I am a long time cross stitcher. When a pattern says use 2 strands, you have 2 strands passing through the fabric as you describe above. Rarely would you ever have 4 strands going through the fabric, only if the fabric had a very low count like 8-count. I’m assuming that you are aware that floss comes in a skein where 6 strands are twisted together. Typically one would cut a piece about 18 inches and pull out each strand individually. The method you describe above using a single strand and doubling it over is a common technique to use to achieve a double strand, as it allows you to secure the thread at the back of your work by making use of the loop. There are some good utube videos on cross stitch techniques to help you get started with confidence. Some basic tenets of cross stitching:
- do not knot your thread to secure at beginning or end, instead use the loop method to secure at beginning if possible, otherwise weave the thread under other stitches to secure.
- keep a consistent tension
- don’t travel too far
- be consistent in the direction of your stitches, how they lie on top of each other