View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 AM
mhollifiel

After you finish your quilt, wash it immediately! It hides a multitude of sins and it looks so much better. If you don't prewash your fabric (and I don't) it might be wise to throw a color catcher into the wash along with the quilt just in case some of the colors run. Mostly they won't but an ounce of prevention is wise.

Quilts don't have to have battings! These make great summer quilts. I once took a sheet and just stitched and flipped odd scraps all over it and machine stitched them down building out from the center. No plan, just random. It is still one of my favorite quilts because it's light and therefore easy to pack, use, and cleans like a dream. That quilt has been everywhere and is still ready for many for more uses.

FYI, there are many quilts in my family and my home that have the "beginner's tucks" in their backs. They are still quilts, still useful and still loved 40 years later - the ones that haven't been loved to death. I still find the actual quilting part my least favorite process so I support longarmers. I also quilt green a lot like our grandmothers and great grandmothers did. Used all cotton clothing is in a lot of my quilts. They look like the real deal and feel wonderful. This recycling frees up funds to support my favorite quilting friends; yep, my longarmers!

BTW, any quilt you give away that is "loved to death" is the biggest compliment ever. Kind makes the tiny tucks you made quilting not matter so much, don't you think?