View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM
mac

When I was a kid, I learned to sew on a Necchi sewing machine and it was very fast. It would shake and shimmy, but I got used to it. Peddle to the metal and incidentally that is how I learned to drive, too. LOL

Although I am a slower driver, now that I am 67, I am still a fast sewer. I often times will find my sewing machine (Janome 6600) vibrating, too. My table is a sturdy table, but it will vibrate if I am sewing really fast. What I found that worked was to put a thick rubber kitchen mat to absorb the vibration under the machine. I got one of those dense kitchen mats that you stand on from a restaurant supply store, and cut it the size of the machine's footprint and this helps a lot. They also carry the really thick rubber mats at a hardware store, too.

The other thing was to slow down a bit in my sewing. I'm always in a hurry, but when I sew really fast, I find that my accuracy is not the greatest. Using the button that makes the machine go slower really helps me to slow down and work at a pace that is more realistic for accuracy.

Just one more thought...
When I go to a quilting retreat, I take my Featherweight. The tables provided are your regular 6' or 8' tables that fold up. They are not very sturdy and my Featherweight will vibrate terribly when sewing on these tables. To steady the machine, I will use the **plywood boards that I use to keep my cutting mat flat while traveling and put that under my machine. This works really well.

** In order to keep my cutting mat from curling up while it is in a hot car, I had two pieces of plywood cut the same size as my cutting mat. I sandwich the cutting mat in the middle and then clamp each side of the plywood with those black binder clamps. I have been known to keep my cutting mat in my trunk for weeks at a time (even in the summertime) because I go to a sewing class once a week and I hate taking everything out of my car (I also keep my Featherweight in the trunk) and I have never ruined a mat.

Last edited by mac; 06-23-2018 at 11:38 AM.