View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 05:08 PM
soccertxi

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I have used these Color Catchers many times with good results, with one exception. Once I made Bumblebee costumes out of bright mustard yellow and black fleece for my husband and myself. They were lined and stuffed and looked amazing. I didn't pre-treat the fabric. After we wore them, I removed the polyfil and laundered them using Color Catchers. It ruined the costumes. When I took them out of the washing machine, they were a pale yellow and more of a dull dark brown than a black. I ended up throwing them away, which was a shame as all my materials had costed me about 75 dollars, not to mention the time it took to make them.
Color Catchers do not set the dye nor make the fabric give up the dye. They only pick up the loose dye from the water, so it will not deposit anywhere else. If you fleece bled, it was the fleece that was the problem.

I am a Color Catcher fan and include an info sheet and some Color Catchers along with the prewashed quilt. I usually prewash everything except precuts. I wash so I know what is going to happen before I gift it.