Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 PM
profannie

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree with feline fanatic's advice regarding contacting the quilt shop and asking what problems they see with the quilt.

How did you deal with starts and stops? Did you backtrack, or did you knot and bury the threads? That might not be a good idea with knits, since the knots might not be large enough to stay buried. Did you use a larger than usual seam allowance for the knits, so that they won't ravel? Are they the type of knits (e.g. T-shirts) that should have an interfacing? Is the quilting sufficiently dense? Is the quilting stitch length too large? How about the stitching in the piecing? Is the quilting tension good? (It looks okay in the pictures, but are we seeing both sides of the quilt? Tension can look great on top, but terrible on the back.) Those are some of the things that would affect the structural integrity of the quilt, and we can't really judge any of those issues from the pictures.

I want to say this nicely, so please don't take offense. Your comment about how much time you spent on the quilt, compared to how little you charged, is worrisome. It implies that spending more time on something excuses a poor product, and I don't think that's how you feel. Customers want to get a bargain, but they expect to receive a good product, no matter how much they pay.
Of course, Dunster. My point is only that a quilt quality is not directly related to a perfect aesthetic. I got the detailed comment of the quilt shop (8 comments) and 7 of them are related to the aesthetic. For exemple, my binding corner should have been hand sewn to prevent ripping. Am I'm the only one here who is not hand sewing the corner of the binding??? I never did that on any quilt I made, and I never heard back from a customer complaining of having a binding going off. My children's quilt have be abused, and the binding is still fine 5 years later.

Last edited by profannie; 06-29-2018 at 01:41 PM.