Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 PM
SillySusan

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I suspect the term cheater quilt is viewed by you as pejorative. Why should it be? I have helped quilt several quilts for friends that were printed quilt patterns. The four friends I helped hand quilt their printed tops were not interested in piecing. The finished quilts were lovely and served their purposes. I don’t know if the person who referred to your panel as a cheater quilt meant it in a negative way. Perhaps it was the only way she knew to refer to fabric with a printed design that was meant to be used whole rather than cut and pieced. I guess how we interpret words matters. If she had asked if it was a printed panel, would you have been offended? Maybe you should have said, It is a printed panel, isn’t it a lovely design? It is probably time to retire the term cheater quilt or cheater fabric.
This is absolutely correct. I don't think that 'cheater' is used to be a put down. I made several really cute baby quilts that were cheater quilt fabric and was not ashamed to call them 'cheaters.' Maybe your friend didn't mean anything critical at all... even though she was mistakenly called a panel by an incorrect term. Don't let it bother you. She just needs a little more understanding of these quilting terms.