View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 AM
IowaStitcher

Default Thread color bleeding

I have just had an "interesting"(pretty scary) experience with Mettler quilting thread in my hand quilted whole cloth quilt. I have been working on this 'wedding quilt' for 12-13 years and it is finally finished!! The back is maroon, the front white so I stitched it with maroon thread. I bought (I thought) good quality products from the fabric to the batting and the thread. When it was completed, I soaked it in cool water to remove the blue wash-away markings. These came out wonderfully. When it was dry, I spread it out on the table to examine it and noticed some slight pinkish areas around some of the stitches. Panic! I conferred with some of my quilting buddies and decided on a plan of action- wash with Orvis soap, warm water, Retayne and some color catchers. End result was great - no bleeding from the thread but I have 2 pink color catchers! I am still gobsmacked at the idea that this supposedly quality tread would bleed like this. So, beware. Not sure how one prewashes quilting thread. Anyone else ever experince this phenomenon?