View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 AM
Tothill

Default Blanket vs Quilt

I have seen several posts over the years where the term 'blanket' was considered derogatory when referring to a quilt.

I think it is important to keep in mind that for many people 'blanket' is not a dirty word. When someone refers to a quilt as a blanket they are not being disrespectful, nor intending to cause offence.

In Canadian First Nations culture a Morning Star Blanket is a beautiful 45 degree star quilt, or Lone Star Quilt.

For many non quilters, bedcoverings are blankets, whether they are woven, knit, crochet, or a quilt. A baby blanket could be a handmade quilt, something bought at Target, knit or crochet. A 'Thank you for the blanket' is a thank you no matter what term the recipient has used to describe the gift.

I come from a fairly multicultural family with family on every continent except Antarctica, even those of us that speak English use different terms to describe the same item. I believe it is important to accept that we may use different terminology, and not get our knickers in a knot if someone else's trunk is my boot.