View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 02:01 PM
DJ

Default Collecting fabrics ...

I've been thinking of the different ways my SABLE (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy) is accumulating. Here's what happens …

I often find fabric when I am searching for something totally different. I might be looking for batting, backing or binding fabric for my current project and find some fabric that loves me. Then I need to think about what I could use it for and how much I might need. Or I just buy an arbitrary amount (1/2 to 2 yards), and hope I think of something to use it for. Sometimes I can resist the urge to buy it right then until I have a specific project to use it for.

Sometimes I go to the bargain table and just for fun start putting fabrics together that I think would make a pretty quilt, and end up getting 1/2 to 1 yd. of each of the fabrics. I take them home and bundle them together for a future project. Then I occasionally end up using some of it for another project if it coordinates well.

When I go to quilt shops in my travels, I like to have a pattern with me that requires many different fabrics (like fat-quarter friendly patterns). Then I can pick out a fat quarter to add to that project collection.

Of course when I go to make a specific quilt and choose fabric for it, I always buy extra; so if I don't end up needing it for the quilt, it is added to my SABLE.

I don't go to garage sales. I have never found any good fabrics at our local Goodwill which I occasionally stroll through; and haven't been the beneficiary of friends' unwanted fabrics.

How does your SABLE amass?