View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Here is a link to the Quilt Study Museum at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. They do amazing work here and have so much information, not to mention a beautiful museum. I wish all of you could visit there. On the website you can search for antique quilts and you should find many authentic ideas. I love your plan to honor your house's history.
www.quiltstudy.org
Thanks, Suern3, for posting that link. I can't believe I had never looked it up before. I noticed that you can do a search by date, and a couple of ideas that came up for quilts of the time period are square in square and fence rail. Both look surprisingly modern to me. The square in square is still popular in exactly the style they used. It's blue and white prints alternating with a solid cream. The fence rail is shown in black, white and bubble gum pink, but could be any combination. Both are easy patterns. I love looking at them because my grandmother lived in Nebraska and made quick and practical quilts for her large family. My father was a toddler in 1918, so it's easy to imagine a context for those quilts. We have no idea what happened to Grandma's quilts. It's wonderful to imagine one might have wound up in the museum.