View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Snooze2978

I remember when I bought my 1st quilt machine, the Viking MegaQuilter 9" on a Grace Pro frame 10ft. Wasn't even in the market for a machine but bought it because my friend was buying one. I had just started learning how to make quilts at that time but the one quilt I sent out to be quilted came back oh so wrong. Asked her not to stitch over the embroidery and she did. So with this I decided to quilt my own. At least if I make a mistake, its my mistake and not someone else's. Anyway, then I heard about robotics for the machine so started off with an inexpensive brand called the PCQuilter. Quickly I realized that you couldn't do much on a 9" but PCQ had this add-on that would move the rollers back and forth up to 17" so got that. Continually had issues and the customer service wasn't all that great. Then folks that used to work with them separated for whatever reason and came out with their own robotics using some of the same parts from the PCQuilter so we could transfer over to it, MQR using the same parts saving us money in the long run. I kept that robotic system but by the time I got it I'd changed to a Juki 98Q stretched to 18", same frame. Finally decided since I was making larger quilts I wanted more machine so got the Innova 26" with lots of extras and upgraded the MQR. I tried a bunch of machines before I decided on the Innova but it felt right in my hands. APQS is right here in Carroll, IA too but still went with Innova as I could get more for my bucks and their customer service was 24/7/365. Just changed my robotics to IQ and loving it. I won't say I'm a great quilter but I keep trying and as most all my quilts are gifts to others I'm sure they won't complain. I've spent a bunch of money on what I call a hobby to me but I'm enjoying my retirement. Again, I tried out a lot of machines before I made my decision. Go to quilt shows that offer trying out their machines and find what feels right under your hands, is in your price range, what's their customer service like and can you upgrade easily if you decide to.

Good Luck.