Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Independence was a nice place to visit. Also the Acadia Museum isn't too far away from there, in Kansas City, but I forgot on which side of the river. The Acadia is a ship that went down in the Missouri River in 1856. They found it about 10-15 years ago, fully stocked with merchandise for the pioneers. The Museum is wonderful.
it's the Steamboat Arabia Museum, which is located in the KCMO River Market. A fun thing to do is to ride the street car from the Union Station to the River Market (weekends are very busy though) and the Arabia Museum is right there. The street car is free and a nice way to get a view of downtown KC.
Been to MSQC a few times--I think that I do better when I go with at least a little list of what I'm wanting--I always get more than that of course, but it helps me from being too overwhelmed. Wear comfy shoes! And if you are flying, definitely have them ship stuff home. There is a very nice quilt shop in Cameron, MO too, plus of course Angela Walters in Liberty (but she will be at our guild meeting on Aug. 4!) Also, someone mentioned traveling to the area with her husband for a train conference. Which likely means Union Station visit and be sure to go to the National WWI Museum at Liberty Memorial just up the hill.

For those of you contemplating a trip to the KC area, think seriously about mid-June 2019 when the biannual KC Regional Quilt Fest (3 days, Overland Park Convention Center) It's a biggie--last one in 2017 drew about 9,000 visitors, nationally famous quilts, 35 vendors (and about that many on the wait list) and is all put together by 16 area guilds instead of a corporation. See ya there!