Old 07-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Becky Schneider

I just drove about 250 miles yesterday to pick up my Singer 66-1 Redeye from the guy who worked on her. I bought it from a friend's yard sale and while looking good and moving well, the needle would hit the presser foot. This guy did the presser bar converter Mickey2 mentioned above, so now it is not a back clamping- it is a side clamping, like all my other machines. I traded my four or five feet/accessories for something else I wanted. This guy was incredible. He's 95 years old and has been restoring machines for 72 years....very, very interesting. My cabinet looks to be exactly like yours. Mine has the flip out/tilt out center drawer. I got a new belt and they showed me how to do it. I put it on last night and I think it's still too loose. i'm going to cut it a 1/4" shorter and try again. (Question for Mickey2- how to get the bobbin cover completely off.... it doesn't want to slide all the way off.)

I want to say this about treadles- since you haven't had one before- have you sewed on one? It's really important to grab the hand wheel and give it turn toward you to get it started in the right direction--let it go backwards can really cause a big mess. My parents bought my sisters and I a treadle when I was a girl- It was a Singer 128, I think, with a shuttle case for the long bobbin. Anyway- if you put one foot to the back of the treadle and one foot to the front...you can really get going. I ought to take a picture....