View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 02:55 PM
PamelaOry

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
The block is a Quarter log cabin block and can be made easily with 2.5 inch strips. Color placement is everything to create the 3D effect.

The following measurements are the cut strip measurements. For this block, you want 4 colored parts, starting with red in the center, then a lighter color, then a medium color, then black. Then add a 2.5" square all the way around the block, making your block that is ready to sew into your quilt as 12.5 inches. This last add will make the block 3D. As your picture shows, it should be lighter than the black. FYI....I cheated and just used a 4 inch sashing when I designed it in EQ, instead of sewing the sashing all the way around the block. I think it will turn out with just as good a 3D effect.

For the picture of the block, I didn't use black because you can't see the seam using black material. That outside color has to be a dark shadow for the effect to be accurate. This 102 inch square quilt would be a good king size quilt. EQ doesn't allow a long sashing without cornerstones. You'll have to figure out your measurements for each side of the block using 4.5" strips if you don't want to put a 2 1/2 inch sash around each block. The other thing is EQ is over generous with giving fabric requirements. If you are using colors where you can pick up more, then I would buy less than EQ states you need.

This website has a good tutorial for the quarter log cabin block.
http://jellyrollsfabric.com/wp-conte...03/QLCtute.pdf
thank you so much, this is awesome!