View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Lisanne

This is very good info to have! But I too would like to know which product barcodes it pertains to.

By the way, for food there is a law that if it's NOT from the US, the country of origin MUST be on the packaging or label. The thing is, with some products from other countries, they put the US distributor's name and location in easy-to-find, easy-to-see type, and then practically hide the country it came from on the back or bottom, in very tiny print.

If there's no label saying it's from elsewhere, you're supposed to be able to assume it was grown (animal as well as produce) in the US - but of course there's always the possibility that the label just didn't get put on.

I'm also skeptical about processed foods. I've called a few manufacturers, and they swear that all their ingredients are from the US or they'd have to say otherwise on their packaging. But I'm sitting here looking at a bag of Hershey's chocolate (guiltily), and we all know that chocolate does not grow in the US. It may be processed here, but those cocoa (or cacao beans) are imported. So if Hershey's doesn't say it, then all the spaghetti sauces and frozen dinners, etc. probably do the same thing...

By the way, the barcode on the Hershey's bag has the little 0 at the start, but the main numbers start with 34. Somehow, I don't think it comes from France.

Oops, oops, and I just noticed it says it was manufactured in Canada!