View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Nanny's dollface

Default Cooking for two 3qt instant pot recipes?

Normally, DH who is retired and 19 - 20 years older ( depending on the time of the year lol) does all the cooking during the week when I work. Lucky me- Except for the past month. Weather has been hot 90-100’s . I don’t feel much like cooking after 10 -12 hour work days so we have gone out to restaurants almost every night. Uggg I am now tired of restaurants and reservations but do want good food as I am not a fast food eater. So yesterday, I purchase a 3 quart Instant Pot. I have never used a pressure cooker- heard too many horror stories as a kid about them “blowing up”. DH says food is better in one and that the new ones have better safety features. OK I will take the plunge.
as I unboxed the monster, I found the instructions and read them as if I was prepping for a final exam. Reviewed You Tube videos on starting up. Took all precautions for safety plus wearing my safety goggles. I was about to venture in a pressure zone. I performed the water steam pressure test. Lol Yeah, I passed that exam and did not blow up the house.
Not wanting to ruin a good piece of steak, I brought home some cubed steak. DH looked at it and asked, “ Oh is that for the puppy?” “No”, I replied “ that’s for us in my new cooking device.” “I won’t like it.” He says bluntly.
Made my first meal- cubed steak with French onion soup, a packet of Au jus Garvey, and A1 sauce. Pressure cooked it for 20 min let the pressure released naturally for 8 min then a quick release. OMG should have let it do its natural release longer as I had quite a mess with the gravy spurting out the release valve- walls, cabinets, and counter top. After this little volcano eruption, I served the dish with home made garlic mashed potatoes. I must say it was delicious- you could cut the meat with a fork it was that tender. And to top it off, he loved it as he had a second helping. At the end of the meal he says with a grin “ that meal is a keeper”. Can you make beef stew?” Lol
so now I am searching for recipes that can be cooked in this 3qt instant pot. Most of the recipes I see are for a 6qt size. For those on QB who have this device, do you halve the 6qt recipes or do you need specific recipes for the smaller version?
thanks!,