View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM
wesing

Default Trimming Flying Geese units

I am a huge Deb Tucker fan, but I'm working on a project that requires FG units that finish at 2.5" by 1.25". Her Wing Clipper doesn't offer that size. I looked at our other rulers to try to find a way to trim these units to 3" by 1.75" and found a way to do it with good accuracy. I thought someone else might find it useful, so here I am.

I started by making FG the "Four at a Time" or "No Waste" method, but you could just as easily start with a single unit made the traditional way. My large sky square was 4.5" and my four small goose squares were 2.5" (remember you have to oversize). I'm using the Creative Grids "Quick Trim and Circle" ruler. I use this ruler all the time and highly recommend it for small jobs, binding, and now this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598343[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the shadows. I wish I had installed double the lights in this room. You need a ruler that has opposing 45* lines that meet a quarter inch From the edge of the ruler.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598344[/ATTACH]

Put the nose of the goose into the crossing of the two lines and trim that side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598345[/ATTACH]

You now have one "true" side that you can use to trim the other sides. Turn your unit over and trim the opposite side to your unfinished height, in this case 1.75". My ruler happens to have a solid white line at 1.75".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598346[/ATTACH]

Now position your unit horizontal in front of you and figure half of the unfinished width of your unit. In this case that's 1.5". Line up your ruler so that measurement is aligned with the tip of the goose and the top and bottom are aligned with a mark on your ruler. The edge of the ruler should cross at the intersection of your goose and sky fabrics. Trim the side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598347[/ATTACH]

Now turn the unit over and again align the half measurement from above with the tip of the goose, and make sure your other three sides are also aligned. Your ruler should cross the intersection of your goose and sky fabrics. Trim the last side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598348[/ATTACH]

Now you should have a perfectly sized unit with the intersections in the corners and the nose of your goose a quarter inch from the edge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598349[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_01.jpg   img_0994.jpg   img_0995.jpg   img_0996.jpg   img_0997.jpg  

img_0998.jpg   img_0999.jpg