Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

First off, I think what you decided to do was a really good idea to compliment the embroidery and I don't think it looks awful, I also think you may be able to fix it so the wrinkles aren't so bad.

This looks to me like your batting shrunk considerably. I also think you did not quilt it enough. More dense quilting would have helped tame the shrinkage in the batting and while you would have gotten the crinkly look around the quilting lines they wouldn't have detracted from the pattern, they would have looked more like the crinkling you got around your quilted flowers.

Some things I would have done differently:
Outline quilted all of the embroidered motifs, in fact I would have treated them like applique and tried to get that outline as close as possible to the thread of the embroidery, like SID only there is no ditch. Then I would have done a 1/4 echo around them as well.
Densely quilted the background around the motifs to get them to pop up off the surface of the quilt, for this I would have used a very small meander/stipple, McTavishing or curly-ques
A denser crosshatch, probably a 1/2" grid or at least double the amount you currently have and I would have continued the crosshatch in the pointed bits that are around the flower motif you quilted as well as doing a 1/4" echo in them, just like you did in the crosshatched squares.
I would not have left the border areas unquilted.

What you can try now is to spritz the quilt with a misting bottle to wet it down and try to flatten out the wrinkles as much as possible. Let the quilt dry flat. You may even be able to add all this additional quilting after which will help to camouflage the wrinkles you have around the motifs. You may quilt in a pucker or two but I don't think it would be super noticeable.
To tame that border I would do an alternating width piano key like I did in the background of the border on this quilt. I believe the spacing I used on this quilt was 1/2" then 1/4" then 1/2" again, in the corners I drew a miter line and had the piano key quilting meet on the miter. You can see it in the 3rd picture.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...c-t289353.html