Old 07-27-2018, 06:03 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by joivey View Post
Does anyone know how to re-seal jars like jelly jars or marinara sauce jars? I have a vacuum sealer and can seal canning jars, but is there any way to reseal the others?
Thank you
Jo Ann
If I'm understanding your question right, you are not canning in the sauce or jelly jars, but wanting to put what is left in the jar back in the refrigerator to keep fresher, longer. I think I tried it a couple of times. What I did was wipe the edge of the jar, wash the lid in hot water and dry. Put lid on jar - you will tighten and then back off just a bit (don't remember how much for sure) Put it in a "Food Saver" canister and seal the canister. Once sealed, remove hose and unseal the canister. You should find that the jar inside has been sealed and can go in refrigerator. You may have to adjust the amount that is backed off. You can check the seal on the sauce or jelly jar like you do on a Mason jar. If you can push the center of the lid down, it is NOT sealed. Try again,

I think I did have to do it a couple of times, but I think the first time the edge of the jar and lid were not clean and dry. I also found that the warmer the lid the better they sealed. I also needed to put two lids on Mason jars for the large 'can sealer' to work properly. It sealed the one on the jar and could remove the top lid before putting the ring on.

Hope this helps. I have had lettuce that I shredded and put in regular Mason jars. I put a piece of paper towel on top of lettuce, sealed and then put in refrigerator for close to 2 weeks. The lettuce was still fresh and crispy.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.