View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 AM
mac

I have had 4 Rowenta irons and another one that I got from my mother-in-law after hers started leaking. I had my first Rowenta for over 20 years before it started to leak. Each Rowenta I bought after lasted a shorter time than the one before it. I finally stopped buying Rowenta after I read that they had switched to internal plastic parts and that is why they leaked faster than the older models. Although the last two irons sort of 'blew-up' and were unusable, I finally threw away all the Rowentas.

I purchased an Oliso, it started smoking and shorted out the first time I used it. I sent it back and they refunded my money. Thank goodness, that was an expensive iron.

I still have my mom's non-steam iron, that is probably as old as I am (68) and it still works really well and just use a spray bottle for steam. I use a lot of starch when quilting and this old iron works well with that and when it gets gunked up from the starch, it is a breeze to clean. There are no steam holes to have to clean, just a solid plate that cleans easily.

The only steam iron I have right now is a cheap Black and Decker that I bought for $10 and it has lasted so far for 5 years with no problems. Just goes to show that a cheap iron can last as long as an expensive one.

Last edited by mac; 07-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.