Old 07-31-2018, 07:21 AM
zozee

Here's one I made for a friend's baby girl (who, sadly, didn't survive brain cancer).

Many ways to go about making a string quilt, but what I did was:

1. Decide what color I wanted to run through the center of each block. This color creates the dominant pattern. I chose white. Choose a multi-colored focus fabric and use strings that pick up those colors.
2. Draw a template of diagnonal lines across a 6.5" square (I used white copier paper). The center strip was probably the widest at 2" (?). I don't like to work with anything finishing at less than 1" wide, so I spaced my lines accordingly.
3. When the pattern was the way I thought I wanted it, I traced the lines with black sharpie so they'd show up well when printed. I made a practice block to make sure I liked the look.
4. Made lots of copies of the block. Cut around the pattern about an inch or so I was working with less paper but still had room the strings to hang over the edges of the lines till later.
5. Press as you go. I found this really important to make sure the fabrics were scootched away from the ditch.
6. Make sure your last piece isn't too small or it'll get lost in a seam .

I didn't mind tearing away paper. Mindless job while watching tv .