View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Bleeding of the dye can occur in the highest quality fabric -- that's just a fact. If I'm using a red, you can just about bet I'll treat it with a dye fixative. I always prewash my fabric because I have asthma and the chemicals in the fabric will almost always precipitate an asthma incident or even an attack. I've found that MOST reds will bleed -- but all colored fabrics could bleed. I just don't take a chance. I test them and if there's even the slightest hint that the fabric will bleed, I will treat. Just washing doesn't always remove the excess dye, and I have tried every home remedy that I've ever heard of and they just don't work, including epsom salts, vinegar (2 gallons worth for borders for a single quilt, but it still bled), so I use what I know will work. And, since discretion is the better part of valor, I always use color catchers in the wash. I was taught when I was very young that it's better to be safe than sorry! I subscribe to that theory! I always buy the best fabric I can afford so I take whatever precautions I need to so that the quilts I make show that I care. I do not make huge numbers of quilts, but the ones I make will last!