Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 PM
ansew

Default Wool for Charity/ World Relief Quilts and Comforters?

Our quilt group has been gifted lots of wool---some yardage, some from clothing. I plan to wash it to shrink and to help keep it from raveling.

We make a lot of comforters/quilts for world relief--through Lutheran World Relief and Mennonite Central Committee. Have any of you made quilts/comforters from wool that was destined for world relief? Did you wash it first to help keep bugs away and shrink the wool? I would think it would make a really warm comforter, but am hesitant to use it for world relief if it will be a problem with bugs.

Any problems or suggestions if you used wool in a relief quilt? Or do you think it would be better to use the wool for the charity quilts we donate locally?

I'm concerned that bugs in other countries might find the wool enticing even though most likely the comforters would never be stored away like here in North America. They might be used on the floor, or as a room divider, etc. But, they most certainly might be used on a bed.

Am I correct in thinking that just because you wash the wool it will not keep bugs away?

I'm hoping those of you who make world relief quilts/comforters will respond with your experiences if you have ever used wool.