View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 03:47 PM
JanieH

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
OK everyone ... have to fess up!!!

The cat is not real!! It's one of those fun fake ones that are pretty realistic ..... and over the years has fooled people as the real thing. With all the Quilt Inspectors that get shown, I just had to include it.

The dog didn't quite make it into the pics ... to the right of the Stained Glass quilt. Yes, a lifesized black lab in a soft plush ... again very realistic from the distance.

Yes, I'm a little warped!!!
Your cat makes me think of my mother's. She had Alzheimer's and we had put her into a nursing home (hated to do that but she needed care we could not provide) and my sister found a cat like yours but a tabby. It ran on batteries and you could set it into a motion sensor setting. It looked so real. Mother would take a little bit of her meat at a meal and some milk for the cat. The staff really played into with her and would come in and pet the cat and take away to food and milk after a while. When the stash of batteries would get low, my sister would call her husband and tell him the cat needed some more sea food, since the battery size was a "c" . One day I went there to have dinner with Momma and she told me very heartbreakingly that she though her cat had died because it wasn't moving. I said I would go check her and went down and replaced the batteries. I went back and told Momma the cat was fine, she had just been sleeping very hard. We didn't tell my brother about the cat and the first time he saw it he said he couldn't believe my sister and I had gotten the nursing home to agree to a cat for mother. He mainly visited her at lunch that day and when he left he called my sister to ask about the cat. He almost did not believe it wasn't real. My brother-in-law thought we should fix it a little litter box and sprinkle some nuts and screws in it for her poop. We decided not to do that but all laughed about it.
I am sorry to have been so long about telling this story but your cat brought back a funny, and lovely moment with my mom. Thank you for 'fessing up!