View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
It really struggles with the load when sewing down the seam line with the batting and backing (like it's having a hard time piercing the fabric). It does pretty well in the open areas where there are no seams. Is this detrimental to the machine?

Do you think changing to another 401 or to one of the 503s would make a difference? I used new needles, so changing needles won't help.

The other option is to change the plan on quilting, which won't hurt anything. I just thought the twin needle thing would look good for a change.

bkay
It has been quite a while since I have tried twin needle sewing of any sort. You said you used new needles, but what size and are they sharps or universal? Also what kind/size of thread? I know is sounds weird, but I know it works, sometimes a smaller needle helps. Sometimes you might have to go with a topstitching needle, but I don't remember how small they go. I know you are trying to use what needles you have on hand, so topstitching needle might not be an option. It also seems like I loosened the top tension, but it looks like the instructions use a regular tension.

Looking at the instructions it also mentions to only thread one thread through the guide before the needle.

Do you have the Special Purpose Foot? Or are you using the General Purpose Foot?

I know the twin needle looks good on top, but are you happy with the ZZ on the back?

So - my suggestions would be to try with smaller needles, Special Purpose Foot, and maybe changing the tension and pressure.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.