View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 03:53 AM
IrishgalfromNJ

Default My Perfect Quilted Purse

I finally found the best size and the easiest quilted purse for me to make. I start with the instructions from this blog: http://www.psiquilt.com/2009/08/frie...-tutorial.html and I make a few modifications. The best thing about this bag is you can make it any darn size you please.

1. To make the front and back (outside of the bag) pieces I cut 16 strips (8 for the front and 8 for the back) 2.5" x 8" and sew them together. The bottom piece will be 8" x 16" or you can use one piece of fabric that is 16" x 24" long for the outside of the bag. The lining will be cut to match whatever dimensions the outside of the bag is.

2. When I quilt the outside of the bag, I put a backing fabric on it so the fuzz doesn't get into my machine. I use a piece of muslin or a scrap of anything. You won't see this fabric so it doesn't matter what you use.

3. I box my corners measuring 2" from the tip. It gives you a little deeper box since this bag is bigger than the gift bag in the original instructions.

4. I cut my straps at 4" x WOF. Then I cut that long piece in half so I have two pieces that are 4" x 21" or so.

The bag takes me about an hour and 45 minutes to make from cutting to last stitch.

Here are the latest bags. I made these from my souvenir fabric from Hawaii. I made the blue sea turtle one last night after work and the floral this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599289[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599290[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg