View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Cedar

Default Quilt layout ideas

Hello.

I've been away from the forum for a couple years. During that time I've been busy becoming a parent and moving back to my hometown to help take care of my grandparents. This includes my grandma who got me into quilting. She hasn't been able to quilt as much lately between mobility issues and some dementia, but she misses it dearly.

So we were talking today and I'd like to help finish some of her unfinished projects. One that she has been looking at a lot in the last year is a series of beautifully embroidered applique blocks in folk wool applique style (but I think they're done in flannel) that are about 8inches with a mottled cream background. Currently they are divided into two groups of 12 which I assume were meant to be two different quilts because one has more pinks and blues and one has more oranges and reds but they could be used together too with four extra blocks. Each one is different and I could see where she used a couple different patterns to collect the different designs but they are cohesive. We also have a stack of cut squares in the same background color, a good sized stash, and I wouldn't mind going to the quilt store if we needed something more -- so basically any fabric option is available. Grandma doesn't remember what exactly she was planning, but has mentioned that if it was put with some other fabric squares of the same size it would make a good sized blanket.

So I'm trying to figure out a nice layout pattern that will be creative enough to be interesting to her, but easy enough for a novice to do it justice. I would put them on point (which is a look we both like), but I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough for triangles and I haven't sewn in a couple years. I think that just stitching them together and adding sashing might be too busy to do them justice. I know the the layout and design is one of her favorite parts so I want her to feel like something fun and interesting is happening and that she's a part of it, even if she isn't up to any actual stitching.

I told her I'd think on it this week and get together next weekend with a plan to make them into a quilt.

I've been trying to look at ideas for a layout online and not coming up with many ideas. If you've seen anything that you think might be good inspiration for me please let me know

Thanks! And it's wonderful to see you all again. You guys were great when I was quilting before and I have thought of you all fondly when I've thought about quilting again but working and raising a baby into a two year old is quite the time-sink